Columbia Education Center
Columbia Education Center - Serving South Pacific County!
GHC views academic advising as an important component in student success. Advisors assist with academic planning resulting in short and long term plans for degrees and certificates.
Paul Turner is the advisor for the students at Columbia Education Center. Please contact the Columbia Education Center to make an appointment.
College Placement Testing is available at the Columbia Education Center. There is a $10 fee to complete the entire test, which includes Math, Reading and English portions. Re-tests are $5 per section with a maximum charge of $10.00. Call the Columbia Education Center to schedule your testing appointment.
Save time and money...review and prepare for the CPT.
- The College Placement Test (CPT) in English, Reading and Math determines if you can enroll in college level courses or whether pre-college classes must be taken first.
- Therefore, you may be able to ultimately save yourself time and money if you review adn prepare before you take the test.
- To find links to online review websites for English, Math and Reading, visit the Learning Center's CPT preparation site.
- You can also visit the GHC Learning Links website.
The Columbia Education Center offers test proctoring for both GHC and students from other institutions. Test proctoring is by appointment only, so please contact the Education Center early to schedule your appointment.
- For Grays Harbor College students this service is free, for non GHC students the cost is $20.00.
- Please call to make an appointment to test. The earlier you make your appointment the better chance you will get the appointment day and time you want or need. Please remember this center is closed on Fridays.
- It is up to the students to inform your instructor(s) that you will be testing at the Columbia Education Center.
- Please let the staff at the Columbia Education Center know what test you will be taking and who your instructor is. We will be contacting them for instructions about the test you will be taken.
- If you are not a GHC student we will be contacting your instructor for instructions about the test you wish to take.
- Cell phones or any other electronic devices are not allowed during the test. If you bring any of these devices you will be asked to store them in a secure locker.
To begin the process, please contact the Columbia Education Center and complete the Test Proctoring Request Form.
This center's computer lab is located in room 107. There are 18 computers available for student use during open lab hours. A printer is also available for student use in room 107.
If room 107 is not available; we have 6 computers in room 102 for student use. A printer is available for student use from room 102.
Student Support Staff are available to assist with online courses, computer questions and general academic course needs. Jim McGlothin is available at the Columbia Education Center and he is available to students at Riverview via ITV. Jessica Porter is available at the Riverview Education Center and she is available to students at Columbia via ITV.
Online Learning Center Resources
GHC offers numerous online resources through the Learning Center to assist you with your academic success. Browse through the available options or ask one of our Student Support Staff to assist you in locating the resource that best fits your needs. Resources include a Writing Desk, computer-assisted instruction, 24/7 e-Tutoring, presentations, handouts, and many other resources.
GHC students have access to print and digital resources through the library. Visit the John Spellman Library to access these resources and chat live with a librarian if you need assistance.
High School Completion Options
Grays Harbor College offers three options for completing high school. Two of the more popular options include the High School 21 (HS21+) program and earning a High School Equivalency (GED ®).
HS 21+ Program
If you have high school credits, work experience, military experience, or other life experience but no high school diploma, this program is for you. Your prior learning will be evaluated compared to the current WA State High School graduation requirements to determine how many credits you need to earn the diploma. Classes are offered online and hybrid. More information.
High School Equivalency - GED®
The GED® is a series of four online tests in Reasoning through Language Arts, Social Studies, Science and Math and can be taken in English and Spanish.
Grays Harbor College offers GED® preparation classes face-to-face and in hybrid format at the Riverview and Columbia Education Centers. For information about testing, contact the GHC Testing Center.
Transition Programs offer courses for students not quite ready for college level coursework. Courses are offered in face-to-face and hybrid formats and are designed to develop and improve fundamental skills in reading, writing and math. Courses are offered at Riverview and Columbia Education Centers.
Business and Continuing Education services and courses are offered at Columbia Education Center. For current information, please contact the Business and Workforce Education Department or Continuing Education Department.
The Columbia Education Center is available for meetings and other events. To reserve a room, please fill out the online Facility Request Form. (www.ghc.edu/forms/facility-use-application